Tourists trapped with gunmen in Karak Castle in Jordan

Special forces are deployed to hunt down gunmen hiding in Jordan’s Karak Castle where tourists are believed to be trapped

Several tourists are believed to be trapped within a castle in southern Jordan where gunmen have taken refuge after shooting dead five people.
A Canadian woman was among those killed in the shootout between the armed men and police.

The other four killed were police officers.

Nine people were injured.

The attackers then hid in the grounds of Karak Castle, a Crusader fort around 70 miles south of Jordan’s capital city, Amman.

Special forces have been sent to hunt the gunmen and security officials are not ruling out the possibility that the shooting was a coordinated militant attack.
The Public Security Directorate said on Sunday that events began when a police patrol received reports of a fire at a house in the town of Qatraneh, in the Karak district.

When the officers arrived, they were shot at by people inside the house.

Two officers were injured and the shooters fled in a car.

In another attack, gunmen shot at a security patrol in Karak but nobody was hurt.State news agency Petra said security forces are “handling the situation”.

Prime Minister Hani al Mulki told parliament that “a number of security personnel” had been killed and security forces were laying siege to the castle.

So far, no group has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Karak is a popular tourist destination in Jordan, a country which has been part of the US-led air campaign against Islamic State militants in Syria.

But many Jordanians oppose the country’s involvement, which they say has raised the security threat at home and caused the deaths of fellow Muslims.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *