- Wayne Meyers woke up in hospital with no memory of the past 20 years
- He could not remember his loving wife Sharleen or their four children
- ‘I had no idea I was even married or who my wife was going to be,’ he said
- He thought Bob Hawke was PM and had no memory of the Bali attacks or 9/11
- Mr Meyers slowly settled back into family life but never regained his memory
When Wayne Meyers woke up in hospital he was shocked to find out he had been married for years and had four loving children.
When he saw the mother of his kids for the first time, he simply said: ‘So, I’ve been told you’re my wife’.
The year was 2009, but he could scarcely believe that Prime Minister Bob Hawke was no longer calling the shots.
And he was amazed at how much the Holden Commodore had changed.
Lost memories: Mr Meyers was struck by severe amnesia after he passed out from dehydration and heat stroke
Forgotten: Wayne Meyers had no memory of his wife Sharleen (right) or his four children. The young couple are pictured in 1995 with their eldest son
Days earlier the forklift driver from South Australia pulled his car to the side of the road and passed out from severe heatstroke and dehydration.
When he woke up in hospital he had lost 20 years’ worth of memories.
‘The last thing I can remember was waking up in the hospital bed. The nurse was filling me in on what had happened to me,’ Mr Meyers told Daily Mail Australia.