Olympic champion Mo Farah taken to hospital after collapsing at the end of the New York half marathon

Olympic hero Mo Farah collapsed and was rushed to hospital today at the end of the New York half marathon.

The father-of-three, who won two golds at 2012 London Games, fell awkwardly around the six-mile mark but carried on and finished second.

But at the finish line he temporarily lost consciousness in the chilly conditions and had to be helped into a wheelchair.

article-2582079-1C56F12500000578-971_634x409 article-2582079-1C56FF4C00000578-82_634x460

Interviewed afterwards, Farah said: ‘I feel good. I just tried so hard in the race. It’s not a big deal.

‘When I fell, I fell pretty hard. I told myself “don’t rush” but when I saw the gap, the gap was big. Conditions here today were very cold. London won’t be as cold as this.

‘It would have been nice to win today, but he (Geoffrey Mutai) is a good athlete. Nothing changes for London – I will just keep training.’

Temperatures had been hovering just above freezing in Lower Manhattan when the race was held this morning.

Farah is due to return to Kenya on Tuesday for two more weeks of training under the tutelage of his coach, Alberto Salazar, before coming back to Britain ahead of his marathon debut.

The Somalian-born 30-year-old was strong enough to pass and hold off third-placed Stephen Sambu from Kenya in a sprint to finish behind winner Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya in 61mins 8secs.

The 13.1-mile race was Farah’s first competitive outing since the Great North Run last September, but comes just four weeks before the Briton makes his much-anticipated full debut in the London Marathon on April 13.

Farah won the 5,000 and 10,000 metres at the London Olympics in 2012 and repeated the golden double at the World Championships in Moscow last year.

Farah had also won gold and silver at the previous World Championships in Daegu to add to numerous European titles, but still spends months away from his family to train in Kenya.

Before the race, Farah said he was due to have a brief reunion with his wife and three daughters in New York before flying back to Kenya on Tuesday to complete his preparations for next month’s full marathon debut in London.

‘It’s really emotional,’ Farah said of his reunion with wife Tania, step-daughter Rihanna and twins Aisha and Amani, who were born shortly after his Olympic triumph. My kids have grown so much in the last few months.

‘In the back of my head I’m thinking ‘They might not recognise you’. When you walk in the room and still recognise you and they come out and give you a hug, it’s really emotional.

‘It’s what it takes to be a champion. I wish I could just sit in my house and do stuff with them, but I wouldn’t have achieved what I have. My kids are lucky to have a nice place and we can buy them nice stuff. I guess it takes sacrifice to be a champion.’


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *